DOG TOWN CORNER IN PENNS GROVE, NEW JERSEY
By George W. Cable
When the crossing of Main Street and Broad Street was first laid out, it was referred to as “The Cross Roads”. Broad Street was known as Church Street at
one time. Around 1910 it was called “Dog Town Corner.” A more polite name was later used. For a short time the crossing of North Broad Street and
Harmony Street was known as “Union Corner” (see “The Way It Used To Be”, Vol. 2, No. 5). This name has been used for the crossing of Main Street and
Broad Street. This area became the uptown business section.
A large general store was operated by James Sweeton, Jr. (born c.1877) on the northeast corner of the intersection. See the photo from South Broad
Street looking north. Part of the roof is visible in early pictures of Poland’s store which was built around it and rebuilt from the ground up after it burned
On the northwest corner was a large lawn containing many maple trees in about 1910 or a little earlier. There was a dwelling set some distance from the
streets. This was the home of Joshua Thorp (b. c1854). This house was moved to a lot adjoining the yard of the High School (built in 1915) on the south of
North Broad Street.
On this lot a large store and apartment house was built. The south side of the building was open and a farm produce market was operated by Mathew
Mitchell, Dr. under the building. It is visible in the photo.
Just west of the above large building in c.1910 was a blacksmith shop operated by Simon Cunningham (b. c.1864). This shop had been used as a wagon
factory earlier. By 1918 Simon and his son James were in the automobile business. Just west of the shop was a long rectangular double house built about
1865 for Captain Jacob Cable who sold it.
The east end of the above house was the home of the above Simon Cunningham (b. c.1864) and his family. The west end of the house was the home of
James Cunningham (b. c1825) and his wife Elma Ann, the parents of the above Simon. By 1910 James had retired as a blacksmith.
The next building west of the Cunningham’s was the Dolbow Butcher Shop with a lane on its east side. The shop was operated by Gabriel Martin Van
Buren Dolbow (b. c. 1836) and his two sons Gideon (b. c.1859) and mark (b. c.1879). They had a one horse meat grinder behind the shop. The horse
walked in a circle and would be visible from across the street when on the eastern part of the circle and disappear. It repeated this for some time.
On the southeast corner of this crossing of Broad and main Streets was the home of Adam Harbeson (born 1868). He was the father-in-law of Captain
Joshua Wheaton (b. 1863) of Pennsville, NJ.
On the southwest corner at about 1860 had been the garden of Captain Jacob Cable (b. 1924) with his home west of the garden. But before 1905 a long
two and one half story building had been erected at this southwest corner. It was called “The Cracker Box Row”. Some of the first floor was used as a place
Allen Edwards (b. c.1875) had a barber shop in this building. This writer’s family lived in an apartment at the west end of the building in 1905 when his
sister Grace was born there.
The first house west of this was a double dwelling house. The east half was occupied by Charles English (b. c.1838) and his wife Elizabeth (Lib) English (b.
c.1842). Charles English was a millwright and is said to have been killed in an industrial accident in Delaware, evidently before the 1910 census.
On the eat side of the English home was a stair which led to a shoe-maker shop on the second floor. This hsop was operated by a man named Poulson.
The west end of this double house was occupied by Martha (Mawth) Lloyd, a widow (b. c.1835) and some of her family.
A short distance west of the above double dwelling was another double house. The east half was occupied by C. Wesley Cable (b. 1850) and his wife
Barbara L. Cable (b. 1853) grandparents of this writer. He was a house painter and paper hanger.
The west half of this dwelling was occupied by Rebecca (Becky) Justice, a widow (b. c.1841). A strange thing about the back yards was that the Justice
backyard extended eastward behind the Cable house and the Cable yard and garden extended eastward behind the Lloyd and English homes.
The next home west of the Justice house was at one time occupied by the above Mark Dolbow and family.
Supplement to HOMETOWN NEWS