|Emmanuel United Methodist Church, Penns Grove, NJ
|Old horse stables, adjacent to Emmanuel Methodist Church on S. Broad
St, were removed in the 1930's. Street to right of photo is Church St.
Emmanuel is the oldest Methodist church in the borough,
dating back to 1834 when preaching services were started in
Helms' Cove School which was a one-room country school. The
first Methodist class in the borough was formed in l836 by John
Boqua, known as the "Father of Penns Grove Methodism."
Emmanuel Church was formally established on Aug.26, l844.
The first structure was started in l845 at the present location on
South Broad Street. Emmanuel was part of the Swedesboro
Circuit in its early years of l845-46,served by Joseph Atwood
and John Beagle. The first Emmanuel Church Building was
dedicated in l846. In 1850, the New Jersey Conference put
Emmanuel and Pennsville under one minister. By 1860, the
congregation at Emmanuel had grown enough that it was given
its own minister. Various changes were made to the original
church structure over the years. In 1901, a belfry tower was
added. By 1907, the Sunday School had increased, and wings
were added to the sides of the church to provide more
An educational building was added in 1956, Wesley Hall, which
still provides facilities for church school and fellowship activities.
In 1959, the old church building was torn down and a beautiful
Colonial was constructed on the same site.