The first pastor was a Rev. Coleman, Rev. W.W. Smith followed him and under his leadership, five Deacons were ordained. Charles Holmes, Harry
Harris, John Smith, Moses Braxton, and Harvey Johnson served as the first deacons. Two of the women were remembered during these early days,
Martha Fruntleroy and Mildred Brokenbaugh, whose descendants are active today. Rev. R.D. Smith and Rev. E.L. Satchell served with distinction
and received recognition on national and state levels. Rev. Satchell served on the Hampton University Ministers Conference as board directors and
Rev. R.D. Smith later became Moderator of Bethany Baptist Association of South Jersey in April 1940.
In the mist of a raging flood, Rev. King David Tunstall officially became pastor after being ordained by the Bethany Baptist Association, Rev.
Tunstall, a man of great stature and strong faith lead this church to great heights far beyond the church expectation. He proved those things that
seemed impossible to man were possible with God. The church began to take a new look during his tenure. The building was enlarged to include
choir rooms, inside restrooms, baptism pool and a pastor’s study. In addition, a dining room and kitchen were added along with other improvements.
The congregation continued to grow and Rev. Tunstall served God with a pure conscience until his passing in 1972. He served as President of
Ebenezer Baptist Missionary Union during the states. He was succeeded by Rev. Ronald Johnson until 1976.
The church was led by the spirit to let their request be known for a pastor after God’s own heart and was led to call the Rev. Edward W. Dorn as
pastor on the second Sunday in August 1977. He has served this congregation well and under his pastorship, a new edifice was built and the first
Sunday in May 1985 they entered their present church. This church grew spiritually, financially and numerically and is recognized nationally as a
|This building was formerly a schoolhouse.
|Second Baptist Church, Pedricktown, NJ
On the first Sunday of June 1904, a Christian Group
consisting of Lloyd Gray, Philip Frauntleroy, and
Harvey Johnson started a prayer meeting in the home
of John Smith with Rev. Charles R. Overby as overseer
and guide. This group became known as the Mission of
Saint John Baptist Church. They were incorporated as
the Second Baptist Church in 1911. In July 20, 1911
they secured use of the schoolhouse and in 1918
purchased the Literary (Bushwack School) for $800.00
from Norman Layman. This building dated back to 1890.