|Carneys Point Wesleyan Church
The Carneys Point Wesleyan Church was birthed through the seed faith efforts of Mrs. Mary Kemp who began a Sunday School in the living
room of her home on Jefferson Street on August 25, 1917. That same year, the Rev. Henry W. Hawkins moved to Penns Grove. He began
to assist Mrs. Kemp in her home-based ministry. Rev. Hawkins was appointed the pastor of the fledgling church in 1919.
On February 17, 1921, the Wesleyan Methodist Church of Carneys Point petitioned the North Carolina Conference, requesting permission
to organize a mission conference. On April 14, 1921, the Middle Atlantic States Conference was officially organized with four churches forming
the nucleus of the infant conference: Carneys Point, Jersey City, Vineland, and Wilmington (DE).
In 1968, the Wesleyan Methodist denomination merged with the Pilgrim Holiness Church forming The Wesleyan Church. The congregation
then adopted the new denomination’s name and became known as the Carneys Point Wesleyan Church – a member of the Penn-Jersey
District of the Wesleyan Church.
The Church has utilized several locations throughout its history. From Jefferson Street it moved to several private homes including a house
near DuPont Road and Lafayette Street and a home on Ash Street in back of the Y.M.C.A. For a time they also met in the basement of the
Lafayette School. For ten years prior to the erection of the church building, they met in a bungalow on Bay Street in Carneys Point, which was
owned by the DuPont Company.
In 1938, the present edifice on Georgetown Road was built with an upstairs sanctuary and basement devoted to several Sunday School
classes. The parsonage was erected in 1939 next to the church. Both projects were completed due to the tireless efforts of the men of the
During the early 1960’s, the congregation grew thus creating a need for more space. The church built an addition, which provided a larger
sanctuary, additional classrooms and an all-purpose room in the basement. In the 1970’s, a kitchen was added. Classroom improvements
and the purchase of new buses were made during the 1980’s. And in the early 1990’s the outer complexion of the church changed as the gray
slate shingles were replaced with gray siding.
Spiritually, the congregation has had a great impact in this community. Ministry to teens flourished during the 1970’s and 1980’s as the
church became a center for youth ministry for the Penn-Jersey District. Through its history, the church has been opened for use by various
community groups including the Boy Scouts and Alcoholics Anonymous.
Today, this congregation continues to faithfully serve Christ. Their focus is to reach the community with the love of Christ through programs
designed for people of all ages.